I have over 15 years of L&D Management experience gained working as a Business Partner developing and implementing Learning and Training Strategy, Managing a core Team of up to 20 people delivering the full training cycle.
I specialise in managing the design, delivery and evaluation of L&D solutions (from induction programmes to management development programmes) which enable achievement of strategic objectives and organisational development priorities.
Recent examples of success within Learning and Development are:
- Implemented a comprehensive eLearning solution to deliver mandatory training needs in Health & Safety and other Regulatory Reguirements achieving in excess of £150,000 cost savings.
- Developed a full Learning & Development Strategy incorporating the 70:20:10 approach to learning.
- Scoped and managed a full suite of training solutions to address mandatory training requirements across the organisation.
- Worked with external and internal stakeholders leading the scoping, design, delivery and evaluation of L&D solutions
- Overhauled NVQ delivery systems which increased NVQ achievement rates from 29% to 99.2% in 12 months
- Developed and implemented training across six sites which included management development
- Support the acquisition and integration of two businesses, successfully aligning cultures, processes and practices
- Developed a Management Competency Framework
- Implemented management and leadership development programme
- Facilitated cultural change within two newly acquired business
- Scoped, designed and delivered a new approach to appraisal
- Managing the Training Design and Training Delivery for 750 advisors which ensured organisational performance in the delivery of a crucial National Helpline
- Led and managed organisational development projects to faciliate change within the business
- Managed regulated training across a number of different areas
- Learning Strategy | Learning Needs Analysis
- Training Needs Analysis | Training Development & Delivery | Training Evaluation & Validation
- Management Training | Coaching
- Organisational Development
- Client & Supplier Management
- Project Management
- Internal Communications Strategy
- Training Budget Setting & Control
- Leadership Development
- Team Development
- External providers management
Passionate about learning and development and writes about L&D at Learning and Development in Focus.
Learning and Development Experience
Interim Head of Learning and Development
Speedy Services – Current Role
- Responsible for leading and managing the Learning and Development team and the Technical Training team across the UK and Ireland.
- Ensuring that we deliver a comprehensive programme of employee training and development activity at all levels that supports the business strategy, meets at least minimum legal requirements and develops people to perform optimally within their current roles and to develop future talent and identify succession.
- Reports to the Group HR Director and acts as a member of the HR Leadership team.
- Produced a training, learning and development strategy in line with the HR strategy to meet training and development needs.
- Managed the budget for learning and development function and Training Academy, ensuring costs were managed to deliver effective solutions.
- Undertook a large exercise to establish levels of compliance for core mandatory/legal training and developed a needs led Training Calendar to achieve compliance
- Created, developed and managed the e-learning offering across the business working closely with content and system providers to address development needs.
- Managed relationships with external training and accreditation bodies, agencies and providers working closely with CITB and Hire Association Europe in particular.
- Recruited, managed, developed and motivated the learning and development team, technical training team and eLearning Content team to ensure full service was provided to the business.
- Managed the delivery of an extensive Customer Experience training programme to support the delivery of an enhanced customer experience to all our customers.
- Developed, implemented and maintained systems and processes for reviewing all learning, development and training activity.
- Developed and delivered the Graduate and Apprenticeship programmes to ensure future talent within the business.
Learning and Development Manager
Residential Management Group – Part of Places for People 2014 – 2016
- Ensured the competence and professional development of RMG Private and Public Sector employees through complete management of the learning and development function
- Designed and executed a 70:20:10 L&D strategy, working in partnership with the operational board, compliance director, and cross-functional managers to align L&D with the overall business plan
- Collaborated with De Montfort University to develop the enhanced MSc Property Management for Property Managers, enhancing organisation-wide leadership and strategic thinking skillsets
- Managed and enhanced relationships with Qualifications and Training bodies including IRPM, ARMA and RICS implementing programmes in new areas to improve organisational efficiency and compliance.
- Supported Social Housing division by ensuring that staff were trained to deliver the requirements of key contracts.
- Increased effectiveness by collaborating with senior stakeholders to design competency frameworks for key roles and implemented psychometric profiling to assess key behaviours and develop individual development plans.
- Delivered coaching training to managers across the organisation to focus management of people on performance improvement through –re-enforcement of positive behaviours
- Developed a “Grow Our Own” approach to development of staff to address attraction and retention issues and to provide opportunities for staff to grow in their roles.
- Improved business culture and operational efficiency, driving change through focused organisational development activities
- Scoped and managed full suite training delivery to address mandatory training requirements
- Recommended and implemented a new leadership development and talent management programme engaging with the Group organisational development team to define and deliver solutions that met needs
- Implemented eLearning to address organisation-wide mandatory training and soft skills requirements
Residential Management Group Limited is part of the Places for People Group.
Learning and Development Manager and Business Partner
BSS 2001 – 2014
- Managed the L&D function for this communications solutions provider which delivers contact centres, mailing and response handling and digital and web services working in business partnership with managers across multiple sites and functions.
- Leading a core team of up to 20 staff and enabled the retention of circa £13 Million of contracts through consistently achieving Investors in People, ISO and other essential people focused accreditations which were required in order to bid.
- Led internal L&D to drive organisational change which enabled BSS to expand its offering and enhance its reputation in the public sector market
- Worked with major external and internal stakeholders and led the scoping, design, delivery and evaluation of tailored L&D solutions to support implementation and retention of major contracts for public, private and third sector clients.
- Overhauled NVQ delivery systems, working in business partnership with internal and external stakeholders, which increased NVQ achievement rates from 29% to 99.2% in 12 months, leading to client bonus payments
- Worked as part of matrix-based project teams to deliver and secure tenders for contracts with values up to £7 Million, building collaborative client relationships to understand their needs and develop tailored solutions
- Developed and implemented training across six sites which included management development, coaching, presentation skills, appraisals, absence management, recruitment, sales and systems training and more at Trustee, Executive, Middle and front line manager levels.
- Leveraged knowledge of IiP as a framework to support the acquisition and integration of two businesses, successfully aligning cultures, processes and practices
- Led BSS to achieve Investors in People (IiP) accreditation, achieving an exceptional assessment report and positioning BSS for public sector contracts
- Improved the business-wide management practice and the recruitment of managers through the creation of a well-received leadership and management framework. Engaged managers in the creation of the framework aligning it with business strategy and giving line of sight to organisational aims.
- Designed an online performance appraisal which improved user experience, availability and frequency of appraisals
- Led the implementation of a new intranet, collaborating with colleagues business-wide to scope technical and user requirements and deliver a solution which enabled easy access to organisation-wide information
- Selected and managed performance of external providers, negotiating and overseeing delivery of cost effective and fit-for-purpose solutions working with clearly defined KPIs.
Academee.com 2000 – 2001
- Developed and delivered e-learning based management training to meet the needs of a global customer base.
Internal HR Learning and Development Consultant (Short Term Contract)
Global Business Dimensions Ltd 1999 – 2000
- Introduced training and appraisal systems and a management behaviour framework to meet business needs and facilitate successful IiP accreditation for this NVQ provider.
Business Centre Manager
Versatile Projects Ltd 1997 – 1998
- Led a team of managers and assessors to deliver NVQs to public sector and commercial clients, establishing robust assessment and verification policies and processes and policies to enhance efficiency and results.
General Manager, Corporate Services Group
Kalamazoo Computer Training 1995 – 1997
Human Resources Manager
Corporate Banking Division, Girobank PLC 1990 – 1994
Professional Learning and Development Qualifications
In addition to my studies I hold the following Professional Qualifications:
Fellow – Institute Training and Occupational Learning (FITOL)
- This is the Highest Level of Recognition by the Institute which recognises individuals against three criteria; Expertise; Experience and Eminence. Expertise relates to skill; knowledge; proficiency and capability. Experience relates to length of time and areas of involvement. Eminence relates to status, prominence or reputation
Fellow – Learning and Performance Institute (MLPI)
- Fellowships are awarded at the discretion of the Institute to individuals who can demonstrate they are:
- A recognised and acknowledged expert within the Learning and Performance community and beyond.
- Continuously seeking to maintain high professional standards
- Contributing significantly to the advancement of the Learning profession.
Thomas International Certified PPA Practitioner
- Learning and Development Strategy
- Training and Coaching
- Requirements Analysis
- Human Resources Generalist
- Policy Development
- Recruitment and Selection
- Client Relationship Management
- Team Leadership
- New Business Development
- Internal Communications Strategy
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Change Management
- Project Management
- Budget Setting and Control
- User Acceptance Testing (UAT)
- Supplier Performance Management
- Social Media Marketing
Recent Training Undertaken
- Managing and Delivering eLearning (5 Days)
- eCoaching Skills (5 Days)
- JCI Train The Trainer (3 Days)
- Intensive Coaching Skills Course – Management Futures (5 Days)
- Investors in People Internal Reviewers Training with CQL Group (3 Days)
- Harassment Advisor with People Resolutions (2 Days)
- Social Media In The Workplace with ACAS (1 Day)
- Advanced Training for Trainers (5 Days)
- Managing Change (2 Days)
- HR Information Management (7 Days)
- Training Foundation TAP Training Design and Delivery (5 Days (3 plus 2))
- Thomas International PPA Practitioner Training (2 Days)
Recent Learning & Development Articles by Paul Duxbury
I write about Learning and Development on my L&D In Focus Blog. As you might expect from someone with a passion for learning I also share my thoughts on how to approach finding a new role on LinkedIn having been given Publisher status on there.
The following are a sample of my recent articles:
Learning and Development Site
LinkedIn Publisher Articles
I also get invited to write on sites from time to time
This recent article for Oasis HR was well received:
This recent article for Giraffe CVs also had an excellent reception:
Personal and Professional Development Through Voluntary Activity
Junior Chamber International
Junior Chamber International is one of the largest non-political and non-sectarian youth service organizations. It is an international community of citizens between the ages of 18 to 40 with the aim and purpose of creating positive change in the world. As a member, local, regional and national officer was involved in projects which improved the skills of the individuals involved and contributed to improving the communities in which we worked.
Holding various offices including Local Chamber President, Regional Group Chairman North West; National Awards Manager, National Public Speaking Project Manager, National Chamber Development Director and National Assigned Officer to Northern Ireland. Awarded the highest JCI Accolade a JCI Senatorship in recognition of the level of involevement and contribution to the organisation.
National Debating Champion and National Public Speaking Champion and trained as a Trainer with JCI delivering training locally, regionally, nationally and internationally.
National Director Chamber Development – January 1988 – December 1988
- Responsibility for a National Team of Project Managers focused on supporting local JCI Chambers.
- Implemented Quality Management Systems and Chamber Development Handbook
- Assigned National Officer for JCI UK Northern Ireland responsible for encouraging membership growth and participation across the Northern Ireland region
Regional Group Chairman – North West – January 1987 – December 1987
- Responsibility for managing a team of Regional Officers who supported 13 local JCI Chambers in the development of their local activities and membership.